Thursday, January 20, 2011

Post Site Visit and First Night Out of Site

So, at this point, I am probably considered a ´site rat´ because I don´t leave site very often. In fact, tonight will be my first night that I don´t sleep on the same table, in the same dirt walled & floored room, listening to the same roosters crowing and music blasting, and smelling the same scents that come with living in a remote village in the hills of the Comarca since I moved there two and a half months ago. And right now, I am wanting to run back home to my community. It is familiar, and where I am right now isn´t. In addition, it is a lot hotter here. It is probably 10 degrees warmer than my site with temperatures around 90 degrees farenheit here. So why am I out of site....not by choice, but because I have my first regional meeting to attend. I am really excited about it, as it will be my first opportunity to see many volunteers that I haven´t talked to in the same amount of time. Since moving to my site, I have had two volunteers visit my site, not including a relatively close volunteer (which I call vecino) that Í run into occassionally in my community.
So how has it been? AMAZING!!! My last post concentrated on my ever looming Site Visit, which I have come to realize was all needless concern. My site visit went great, and I feel so much better now that it is over. In addition, having the boss visit was really a great day and not a day of stress like I thought it would be. She helped me with a seminar I had, and she arrived with chocolates and apples. Plus, she bought my lunch (all $1.50 that it was)! Also, it was really refreshing to receive a ´pat on the back´ and appreciation for what I have been doing. Overall, I wish she would come more often, but it won´t be for another year that she makes a trip to my site.
Now, I have six month goals. I will continue the business analysis I started with the women´s (and two men) artisan group, I will train two people to teach basic computer skills, Word, and Excel which will in turn teach at least one class during this time period, and I will teach English classes tailored toward selling good to a person who can speak no Spanish. In addition, I will continue my primary job duty, which I call helping whoever wants help. Plus, today I introduced a really simple project to one of my community counterparts, and he was really excited and wanting to start on it immediately.
So where am I heading? Besides the goals set during my site visit, I also have a hiking trip planned for next week. I am going to hike 20 kilometers with a group of boys and girls (Boy Scouts) to the top of a mountain that I look at each day with amasement and desire to concure!
Oh, and I forgot my major accomplishment yesterday! My ´junta´ went amazing well, and we finished putting up the dirt/straw on my walls within one day! Now, I have 1 month to build two doors, two windows, run water, constuct a bed and table, get approval, and move into my new house! (The walls need 1 month to dry thoroughly, or otherwise, it is really cold and causes illnesses.)
I wish I could upload pictures, but my camera and the internet connection does not allow. However, imagine a group of six guys (Panamanian), one gringo, and one gringa in a circle with arms locked stomping mud in a giant mud pit! This was yesterday and the building of my house!
Right now, the only problem I have is my language. I find myself not thinking about what I am saying as much, and I end up accidently speaking English in the middle of a conversation! ¿Por que?

1 comment:

  1. glad your adjusting so well, or at least that's how it sounds from all your posts, 10degrees difference! thats massive I wish my lunches were 1.50 haha,
    when you come back are you gonna be spitting multi languages for the first few months? haha
    anyways keep the updates coming im gonna try to get more emails off even though I know you probably don't get to check them that often.
    have a great summer Kevin!

    ReplyDelete