Monday, November 21, 2011

As the Holidays Approach


So here in Panama, we have been in holiday season for about a month now. The celebrations started at the first part of November, and they will continue until we roll in the New Year. In fact, I came to the city today hoping to get some work done, but my computer has quit working, very few internet cafes are open, and the bank is not open because I forgot it was a national holiday. As for me, I've been busy, but it has really been a great time. (and I know, I need to update my blog more frequently.)


I have had some very interesting experiences...


From seeing more snakes killed during this recent period than the whole first year (corral snakes, a snake called "the X"), to watching it rain for days on end, to giving up on using an umbrella (I just carry extra trash bags to water proof everything I am carrying and I walk in the rain, including putting a trash bag over my hat and putting my hat back on my head), to wearing out shoes at the quickest rate in my life (I brought one pair of Docker dress shoes with me that lasted for a year in the rain, mud, and trails, but I have since worn out three additional pairs of dress shoes in a three month period. I use my mud boots whenever I can, but they are not considered appropriate for me all the time because of the title I hold of a University graduate and professor. They hold me to the same dress standards as the mayor, representative, priest, teachers, agency workers, and other professionals who enter the community, so I end up walking in mud in dress shoes more than I would like), to having a con artist try to smooth talk me out of money (he never asks for money, he just tells a really good story of being robbed, and no, he did not get my money), to watching my house grow (the tree limbs that were buried for bracing are now growing like they were planted, which doesn't help when you house is made of dirt), to being kissed by pet deer, and going on an amazing hike.


About the hike....


From my community, backdropping every vantage point, overlooking the entire Ñürüm district, and tempting me to conquer it every day, stands a mountain of enormous beauty and statute, which frequently hidden from the world by approaching rain clouds. On occasion, the clouds clear, the sun shines, and the beauty of Tolíca Mountain rains over my community. Since the first day I came to reside in my community, I have been tempted and by this beast. “Climb me if you dare. You think you can, but I know better” is whispered in the wind and echoed by the trees.


Well, out of nowhere, I received an invitation to travel with a community member to the community that was near the top of the mountain. I, without considering, thinking, or even looking at my calender, eagerly stated that I would love to go.


What turned out was one of my most memorable experiences so far! I conquered the mountain, hiked for 5 hours, heard the rosary prayed in Spanish for the first time, slept in the community, saw children playing the balseria (which is a traditional celebration of the comarca), stayed the night at a community member´s house (who treated us with such hospitality that it felt like home), witnessed the first celebration held by a community counterpart, hiked through rain, climbed trees to drink oranges when the water ran out, drank from the mountain springs and creeks when I could, stood in the clouds as they passed, and hiked back to my community the next day. In addition, I have amazing photos to remember the journey with. I also saw my first Chirola, which is basically a prison in the Comarca. If there is a fight, theft, violence, adultery, or statutory rape (when consent is given but the other person is under age, male or female), the person is put inside this prison for 24 hours, or more, without any water or food. It doesn´t seem that harsh, but the prison is so small that you can not sit. In addition, if you fall asleep, you fall into barbwire.


Outside of these amazing experiences, I continue teaching accounting, marketing, and English, have started teaching computers, and stay busy working in all sorts of random projects, ranging from helping write the statute for a cooperative that´s forming, constructing cash flow statements, training individuals personally on accounting, tutoring adults who are studying at the university in math and English, reading Dracula (which does keep me up at nights), and learning how to play the Star Spangled Banner on the guitar.


But right now, all I can think about is Christmas...........


Also, I have updated Picasa with some photos of the above described...


https://picasaweb.google.com/104217444999898257672/MoreRandomness#

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like good times all around. Dracula is some damned fine reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to visit Panama... Perhaps it'll be time soon... I was looking for blogs on what is the Meaning of Life but hey, a good travel blog is handy too...

    ReplyDelete