Thursday, June 3, 2010

It's in the Mail!!!!

So...I have had contact with the Peace Corps over the past few days, and it has been extremely exciting. On Tuesday, I received a phone call from my Placement Officer. She asked me a series of questions, including how I would handle being a minority in the room, what I would do if I showed up for a event and was not feeling welcome, and why I had had interest to go to Central and South America in the beginning. She also asked whether I had followed my plans of taking Spanish this past semester. I explained to her that I hadn't since I was nominated for Africa. However, I asked whether it appeared as if my region would be changing, and she stated that there were no indication that it would. We ended the conversation with her placing me in the Qualified for Service for the Placement Process, whatever that means. She stated that she would be looking at programs leaving in August and September. Again, my excitement rose.
Then, the very next day (Wednesday this week), I receive an email stating that there was an invitation being put in the mail for me to leave August 17, 2010, and I would be departing for Central America to do Community Economic Development........
Wait.....Central America..........Is that a typo? If it said sub-Sahara America or Central Africa, then I would think so. But it said Central America! Hooray!!!!!
Community Economic Development? What does that entail? With answers only comes more questions!
I also called my Placement Officer and tried to get the exact country, but I was unsuccessful. I have to wait for the packet. Excitement still overruns me! I also had the opportunity to speak with my recruiter, who I cannot thank enough, and update him on my status. Even he sounded excited for me!
Finally, I went last night and got a headphone to start Rosetta Stone. Tonight, I begin learning Spanish, and I wait for my invitation in the mail. Hopefully, it will come Saturday, but I give it Monday at the latest. I can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment