Sunday, August 29, 2010

From Panama City

Just to update some of you,
I currently sit in an internet cafe located in the largest mall I have ever seen, and it is located in Panama City (Albrook). How did I get here? Diablos Rojos!
I know the picture is a little blurred, so I would Google Diablo Rojos to get a more accurate picture. It is really interesting where American culture is present and where Panamanian culture is. It is definitely a different culture overall here, but it isn´t what I was expecting.
So far, I have experienced some pretty amazing things. I consider myself lucky to be doing what I am. I wish you could all enjoy the same experiences. As everyone had warned, there are up days and down days, but the overarching direction is purely up. I am starting to learn Spanish, and I hope that I only continue to do so more quickly.
As far as pictures go, it is lacking. I have been so busy with training that there is little time to do much else. In addition, I have been devoting a significant amount of time to studying Spanish. However, I promise to add more photos later in my journey.
As for my host family that I am staying with these first 10 weeks, I don´t feel as if I could have been luckier. Mi Madre Felicia is a wonderful cook and does everything she can to make me feel at home. She cooks everything from carne to rice to yucca to cornmeal mush (which reminds me of home). In addition, I have now bought a cell phone because it seems as if every Panamanian has at least two. Who would have guessed? (Feel free to call me if you like. Just send me an email, and I will respond with my phone number next time I am near a cafe. Remember though, if you call me, then it is on your dime) I am actually starting to hope for more isolation from technology, though, so be forewarned that I may not have cell phone signal. I can´t wait for this upcoming week!
On Wednesday, I am making a trip out to the Bocos del Toros region of Panama, which is located in the north western part of the country. The purpose is to get a better experience of a volunteer´s life and community, so I will be spending about four days there. As part of the trip, I have a 20 minute boat ride to my destination. Yes, the only access is via a 20 minute boat ride! Amazing, right?

6 comments:

  1. Those are some psychedelic buses.

    Be sure to learn all about futbol while you're there. I need someone to talk to about it.

    ¡Buena suerte!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that things are going well! I'm sure this week will be an interesting experience. Can't wait to read all about it.

    Heather R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rode a chiva, did you? Never did that while we lived in Panama. Lucky!

    Albrook is a former air base. Can't imagine a large mall there. We used to travel over the Thatcher Ferry Bridge (the big bridge) to go to Albrook for dinner at the NCO club overlooking the flightline. Also attended CCD classes and mass there.

    While near the Pacific side, you should look into a boat out to Taboga Island (Isla Taboga). They used to depart Balboa somewhere under the bridge. There's no cars on the island and some good walking. We used to skin dive for coral fragments as kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, that's cool and that food sounds good ha ha.
    Glad everything is going well for you, and looking forward to seeing some more pics of scenery if you get a chance.

    waiting for the next update. have a good week!

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Checked out Albrook Mall on Google Map and discovered the mall was built outside of the old Albrook AFB in a Panamanian shanty town called "Hollywood" in the 60's. Seems the mall is an economic development project that replaced the sprawling community of tin shacks and squalor.

    BTW, that's some bus station. Albrook bus station rivals the south bus station in Seoul which has buses on several levels, much like NYC's Port Authority station.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin - James here. Took a new job with OKC Community College. Great energy & diversity here. My job moves me to the center of it. I'll be following your exploits!

    ReplyDelete