Friday, September 10, 2010

Volunteer Site Visit!

So this prior weekend, I had a wonderful time visiting another volunteer´s site. It gave me perspective into a typical site of a volunteer in an Ngöbe community, and I enjoyed it. I have tried to upload two pictures to give perspective, but it is impossible to do so with the internet speed I am working with, plus to capture the culture, sound, smell, or overall feeling you have when you are staying in such a community is impossible. It is something truly amazing! I was even lucky enough to see a dolphin while riding in a dugout canoe! (I will upload photos when I am in a internet cafe or hotspot with a good speed. Otherwise, my blog posts will most likely remain imageless).

Also, I have been continuing to learn Spanish, but I still have a long way to go. I do feel as if I am making progress though because I can communicate on many different topics with my host family, including my American family, when I am not feeling well, how wonderful the cooking is, and ask questions about past events (yes, I have started dabbing with the past tense, which feels like an accomplishment.) I am staying healthy, but Panama still doesn´t feel quite like home.

As far as training, I had one of my most enjoyable sessions/days this week. We, Panama Group 66 - CED, had an introduction into Panamanian culture, including work culture and dealing with agencies. It was very interesting. To provide a few examples: Panamanians point with their lips and not their fingers (it is kind of like blowing a kiss in the direction you are intending), letters are still very customary (including a letter that introduces yourself to agencies/groups and thank you letters), it is okay to be late and walk around the group saying hello to every single person while the presentation continues, and they are still very particular about dressing professionally (which includes clean shoes and a collared shirt) when going to town (even if you have to hike for hours to get there). As far as Ngöbe specific, the word for "good" is "queen" (which is pheonetic spelling because I have no idea how to write it).

As far as what I have upcoming over the next week, I have a language assessment interview on Monday (which I am hoping goes well), and I will be leaving at the end of next week for a one week, in-site, technical training. However, I will not know where I am going to spend the next two years helping people until early October.

To all my blog readers (you don´t have to be a follower), what have you experienced in another culture that would seem weird/different in the United States? (Honestly, the telling everyone hello individually even when you are late for a meeting would be very rude in the U.S. But as they say, "when in Rome....")

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kevin, I've been keeping up with your blog to check up on you. Hope all is going smoothly & that you're not too homesick. I am fascinated with differences between cultures, even with simple things like the way they point. Keep up the good work & the posts so we can keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are still doing well and enjoying your time over there. Good luck with the Spanish language (if only they had Dora the Explorer when we were growing up)

    I hope everything keeps going well for you and stay Healthy!

    p.s. the Razorbacks are looking decent this year heh, might actually have a good year this run.

    ReplyDelete