Sunday, September 26, 2010

Photos

So, today I am back in Panama City at an internet cafe, and I was able to upload a few photos. I finally have a fast internet connection (lol!). Be sure to check out the following link: http://picasaweb.google.com/kwwhite3/Panama
Anyways, I returned safe and sound from my journey to Hato Chami on tech week, which was a wonderful place. I had to ride in the back of a chiva (the real thing, which is a small pickup truck with a roll cage and tarp covering it) for an hour and a half with 15 other trainees, and many of us kept saying that they should sell tickets because it was an amazing ride, while others got soaked, banged around, and prayed for safety. (I wanted to be in the drivers seat because it was like an hour and a half mudding experience, included the driver stopping at one point to manually lock the hubs.) The end of the ride takes you to the top of a mountain that is above cloud level. While standing outside in the afternoons and early mornings, you can watch as a cloud approaches and then engulfs you and everything around you. You end up being in what feels like a heavy fog with a sprinkle, but you are really standing in a cloud. I now know what a cloud feels like!
At Hato Chami, which is another Ngobe indigineous community of approximately 2,000 people, there is no electricity, and my host family only had running water in the early morning hours, unless you count the stream that ran behind the house and was used for bathing by myself and others when we woke up too late. My host family was again amazing, and I am beginning to think that it may just be all Panamanians (or at least those that Peace Corp places volunteers with). While there and working with a very amazing group, my group helped a honey cooperative. We walked the president through a SWOT analysis and a significant part of Strategic and Operational Planning. In addition, we had done a mini-BOCA (which is business and organizational capacity assessment). I also worked with another volunteer, Jack, on teaching a group of fifth graders for two hours. I never thought I would enjoy teaching kids so much. With Jack, we used a poster competition to teach/reinforce budgeting, decision-making, and marketing/advertising concepts. We had them create a sign for their tienda (convenient store).
The biggest news I have right now is that I find out where I will be spending my next 2 years on Friday, and I am extremely excited. The diversity of cities here in Panama is incredibily broad, so my site could be from one extreme to another. However, I feel like either extreme will make for an amazing two year experience.
I will try to update this coming Friday with information on my site placement, but I can´t make any promises. As for now, everything is wonderful, and I have a lot of Spanish left to learn.

2 comments:

  1. sounds awesome and the pictures are coming out really well, and I'm glad that you keep posting when you can. You will have to keep us all updated on your perm. living situation, but so far it looks like a vacation spot from what you keep posting. :D I wish i was there for the Mudding! I miss doing that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave it to you to find a place to go mudding in Panama. Maybe the K5 found a new life somewhere south of the border.

    ReplyDelete