Friday, September 17, 2010

First Month!

So yesterday will be the anniversary of my first month in country, and it is truly amazing how quick one can adapt. While I still cannot communicate on a sophisticated level with Panamanians, I can communicate to a point (like I can tell Panamanians that I can´t communicate), and I seem to understand more of what is being said each day. But besides language, using a pit latrine with no toilet seat no longer bothers me. I take bucket baths when the water is out, and it doesn´t ruin my day. While Panama will never replace my home in the states, I still look forward to the end of the day and going home to sleep in my bed in Santa Clara (and not the one on the beach). In addition, I look forward to seeing my Panamanian mom, complimenting her on her cooking, enjoying her cooking, and playing bingo or watching TV with her and my host brother (I won a´peso´ last night, which is a half dollar, and I quit playing when I was down to just that). I also enjoy sharing the American culture, while learning about the Panamanian culture at the same time. For instance, where I live, no one really cares or keeps up with the weather, neither the temperature, 7 day forecast, nor even if there will be a rain shower later in the day (except if they see a cloud). I remember being constantly in tune with the weather on my cell phone while living in Arkansas. Granted, I may not always know the 7 day forecast, but I could ask someone close by and they would. Now the weather is always a surprise. In fact, at night, I no longer keep the fan on all night because it feels cold. After only a month, I enjoy the food of Panama. I even have a standard routine each day. I don´t sweat as much as I used to, and I consider it a luxury to have a dry towel after a shower (because I never do). Again, it is not that I am or ever will truly be a Panamanian, but I feel like I may someday not stand out. (Well actually, my pale skin and blue eyes will always make me stand out, but I won´t feel like an outsider.) One month, a lot learned, a lot missed, a lot more I now have a stronger appreciation for, and a lot I know I will miss when I leave in 26 months.
As for my plans, tomorrow I will work with a small group of fellow Peace Corps Trainees, and we will talk to a group of kids about gender roles in Panama. In addition, on Sunday, I will leave for another one week adventure in a Ngobe community. What I am supposed to pack, a sleeping bag because it is high in the mountains and gets cold at night. I still don´t believe it, but I will take my sleeping bag. How could it get cold in Panama?
(By the way, thank you to everyone who is commenting on my posts! It is good to hear from you even if it is through a brief post!)

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear how caring your host family is. I can't believe your gambling on bingo....love it! Maybe when you get home we can hit up Bingo at the Lodge down the road! Your commitment to adapt to the culture gives such insight into your true passion for what you are doing. I can only imagine what you will accomplish and learn while you are there. I hope you have a wonderful 24th birthday traveling to learn more about the Ngobe community. Wish we were able to celebrate with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad everything is going well and I just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday you old geezer :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff, Kevin. It's cool you're learning how silly and weak we are in the states with our comforts. I slept in a hammock in Nicaragua, used a pit latrine, bathed in a river coed. Had a great time. Same kind of stuff you are doing. It was a time I always remember! You'll have lonely and down times too, and wonder what the Hell you are doing, but in the end you've done something profound. When I traveled before the brigade I saw lots of gringos playing the part of sophisticated indigenous traveler, but they never had a real purpose for being there other than to gratify themselves. Nothing wrong with it, but there is no better way to be a part of something than to work and sacrifice. Work is what endures; everything else is just looking outside in. ¡Feliz cumpleaƱos! James

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday! Course I told you happy birthday on mine, so you can't claim that I forgot. Like I've told you before, I'm proud of you, and I am praying that God keeps you safe and sound. Also, for anybody reading this post who knows that Kevin didn't speak a lick of Spanish before he left, he has learned a heck of a lot and is understandable (this is coming from somebody who does speak Spanish very well, if I do say so myself). And yes, Kevin, I did manage to pay myself a compliment on your blog, cause you know that I'm just awesome like that - hey! I did it again!! Anyway, good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite. Love from the best sister in the whole world. (that makes three! I rock! Okay, four and I'll call it a night. ) :-D

    ReplyDelete