Friday, October 1, 2010

Site Announcement!!!

So it happened today. I received my site announcement, and I couldn´t be happier. While I am not going to be in a Ngóbe indigineous tribe, I will be in a Bugle indigineous community of approximately 1,000 people. In addition, the community I am going to has a lot of interest in help from a volunteer in a lot of cooperatives, and there are about 5 agencies that are working in the area to stimulate the economy. While it does have a paved road that leads up to the community, the last 1 hour of travel is done in the back of a chiva!
In addition, there is no house identified for me to move into after my first three months, so I may have the opportunity to build one! Tambien (mix in a little Spanish, lol!), from the paperwork, it appears as if the community will be supporting me when I build the house. However, even if I don´t end up building my own house, it is still going to be an amazing experience.
I don´t have electricity, but I do have running water!
I´ll post more information as time progresses, but as for now, I am out to celebrate with fellow trainees! In addition, my weekend will be filled with learning Spanish!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome, if you end up building send some pics, or as soon as you find your residence for the time your living! and glad you have running water time to break out the cleaning rock. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put a lot of careful thought into arrangement of windows, size of kitchen and location of doors--all major considerations not to be taken too lightly!

    ReplyDelete